2022-2023 Summer Livestock Validation Tag Orders (Steers, Heifers, SF Lamb & Goat, SF Swine)
Happy Tuesday!! We wanted to send out a few reminders that it is time to start planning for the 2022-2023 show season! This information is also available on the livestock page of our website at https://bastrop.agrilife.org/livestock/. We currently have information posted for the large animals including: Steers, Heifers, State Fair Lambs, State Fair Goats, & State Fair Swine.
All livestock projects that exhibitors would like to show in the fall major livestock shows (State Fair or Heart of Texas) and/or major livestock shows (Fort Worth, San Angelo, San Antonio, Houston, Rodeo Austin, etc.) MUST be state validated for the 2022-2023 4-H/school year - to receive the validation day details and enter large animals in the fall or spring major livestock shows, you must purchase validation tags.
You may see a tentative date on the Eventbrite platform for now***
IMPORTANT REMINDERS FOR VALIDATION TAG ORDERS:
- Ordering validation tags do not enter exhibitors in a major or county show
- Major Validation tags are only needed for animals being exhibited at the Fall or Spring Major Shows - they are not needed if you are ONLY showing at a county show
- This is the ONLY Major Show Steer Validation for the 2022-2023 year
- There are two (2) Heifer Validation opportunities for the 2022-2023 year - one in June and one in October (the fee will remain the same for both)
- State Fair Lamb, Goat, and Swine validations will take place in June
- Spring Major Show Lamb, Goat, and Swine validations will occur in the fall
- Breeding Females are required to have registration papers
- A good quality scanned, color copy of the papers needs to be sent to Mellanie ahead of time at MLMickelson@ag.tamu.edu
- If you do not have registration papers, your animal will not be validated
- Make sure that you double check your registration papers for correct name spelling, address, ear notches, tattoos, brands, etc. for your species BEFORE validation
- The State Fair Lamb & Goat Validation groups are having us collect tag orders for Lambs & Goats showing at the State Fair & Heart O' Texas (HOT/Waco) shows earlier than usual!! Please note the difference in tag orders below.
VALIDATION TAG ORDER DEADLINES:
- Early Tag Orders:
- Heifer UINs - $20 each
- SF Swine tags - $20 each
- Steers tags - $25 each
- SF Lamb & Goat Tags - $20 each
- Due to the Bastrop County Extension Office by 12:00 Noon on Thursday, April 21st (must be postmarked by this date if mailing)
- Please Note: Early State Fair Lamb/Goat Tag Orders were due March 28, 2022 at $20 each and were sent in their own email blast in March
- Late Tag Orders:
- Heifer UINs - $20 each (no change)
- SF Swine tags - $23 each
- Steers tags - $30 each
- SF Lamb & Goat Tags - $30 each
- Due to the Bastrop County Extension Office by 12:00 Noon on Wednesday, May 18th (must be postmarked by this date if mailing)
- Additional Opportunities & Notes:
- There will be a second opportunity to validate heifers in October
- Lambs, Goats, & Swine being shown in the Spring Major Livestock Shows will be validated in October (Lambs/Goats) and November (Swine)
TAG ORDER OPTIONS:
- PDF VALIDATION TAG ORDERS:
- ONLINE VALIDATION TAG ORDERS VIA EVENTBRITE:
NEW CHANGES TO BE AWARE OF THIS YEAR:
- Steers – we NO longer have to do nose prints!!!
- Crossbred gilts showing at the State Fair of Texas and Heart of Texas MUST be validated.
- State Validation tags must be in the pigs ear when it enters the holding pens. This means tags cannot be in the hand or pocket. Any pig entering the holding pen without a tag will not be allowed to show.
- Breeding Lambs/Goats: Beginning June 1, 2021, registered breeding sheep, registered breeding goats, wether/commercial dams, and wether/commercial does will have 3 total years of eligibility UNLESS A CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP TAKES PLACE. This will be offered during major show validation as well. Put plainly - if you validate for State Fair during the June 2021 validation period, your validation will be eligible until June 2024, unless a change of ownership occurs during that time- then you must re-validate.
- Other opportunities can be found on the County Calendar – registration information should be included for each post.
- Other Contest related opportunities can be found on the Judging Card Calendar – to sign up for these opportunities, please contact Mellanie at MLMickelson@ag.tamu.edu or at 512-581-7186
That's all for now! Have a great week and let us know if you have any questions!
Mellanie L. Mickelson
Bastrop County Extension Agent – 4-H & Youth Development
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Services
P.O. Box 650 | 901 Pecan Street | Bastrop, TX 78602
p: (512) 581-7186 | c: (512) 522-9174 | f: (512) 581-7187