Quality Counts Reminders &
Heart O' Texas (HOT) Entry Information
QUALITY COUNTS REMINDERS - REQUIRED FOR ALL MAJOR SHOWS, BASTROP, & ELGIN SHOWS:
- All NEW exhibitors and exhibitors who have moved up in age groups (if you moved from 5th to 6th grade or from 8th to 9th grade) will be required to complete Quality Counts training and the test to show at local and major livestock shows.
The training is divided into Junior (3-5 grade), Intermediate (6-8 grade), and Senior (9-12 grade) divisions according to the exhibitor’s age. A Quality Counts number will be required for all youth exhibiting market and/or breeding livestock at major shows in Texas (Fort Worth, San Antonio, Houston, San Angelo, Rodeo Austin, Sandhills Stock Show, State Fair of Texas and Heart O’ Texas Fair). All Exhibitors will be required to complete and pass the online test BEFORE submitting show entries to be eligible to show, and will be required to put their verification number on major show entry cards in November.
Therefore, you will need to complete the new Quality Counts test before entries are due. Don’t wait until the last minute, as the training takes approximately two hours to complete. Exhibitors can access the system, and complete the training/testing, at https://www.texaslivestockvalidation.com/qc/qcregister.aspx.
All livestock exhibitors will be required to be verified under the system for entry into major livestock shows, and please add your FFA chapter to your registration if you are enrolled in both organizations. Please know, we will provide step-by-step instructions for getting your exhibitors registered and verified online. Call Mellanie or Ashley at the Extension office if you have more questions.
HEART O' TEXAS (HOT) UPDATES - ENTRIES DUE BY 12:00 Noon 09/02/21:
- Show entry paperwork is available online at https://www.hotfair.com/events/2021/livestock-show and can be accessed directly by clicking here.
- Show entries are due to the Bastrop CEO by 12:00 Noon on Thursday, September 2nd.
- The event is expected to be "back to normal". They have retained a few of the changes from last year and have a few updates:
- If you are showing SHEEP at HOT, you will need to book your hotel NOW (suggest the Hampton Inn for $139 per night) because the sheep exhibitors will be arriving at the same time a Baylor Homecoming will be taking place
- They have changed the name of the 2 shows to reflect what they are
- Junior Livestock Show is now called the Scholarship Show
- The Jackpot Show is now called the Premium Show
- The $100 entry fee will enter you (the exhibitor) into both shows - there is not way to just enter one or the other; you will also receive 3 passes per exhibitor that is included with your entry fees.
- They are adding some scholarship opportunities to be awarded to breed champions and reserve breed champions in the scholarship swine show.
- Stalling - all animals will be stalled on arrival
- Shavings - stalls will not be pre-bedded, shavings will be for sale through the Bar None Country Store
- Livestock Show Judges:
- Scholarship American Beef Heifers - Kolten Thigpen
- Scholarship British/Continental Beef Heifers - Brady Ragland
- Scholarship Market Goats - John Shroyer
- Scholarship Market Swine - Brennan North
- Scholarship Breeding Gilt Show - Austin Thompson
- Scholarship Market Lambs - Eric Zimmerman
- Scholarship Market Steers - Blake Bloomberg
- Premium Market Goats - Skyler Scotten
- Premium Market Swine - Levi Moyers
- Premium Market Lambs - Leah Amstutz
- Premium American Beef Heifers - Keaton Dodd
- Premium British/Continental Beef Heifers - Shellie Collins
- Premium Steers - Taylor Graham
- Scramble Beef Heifers - Brady Ragland
- The judges page can also be downloaded by clicking here.
- Contests Offered at HOT - registration through CEO (Judging Card):
- Agricultural Mechanics
- Agricultural Public Speaking
- Agricultural Product ID
- Food Challenge - age groups are slightly different from "normal"
- Junior Livestock Judging Contest
- Trap Shooters Extravaganza - Exhibitors will need to provide practice sign-in records to CEO to enter
- Helpful HOT Links:
- Main Website
- Entry Form with W9 (07/23/21)
- Exhibitor Handbook (07/23/21)
- Exhibitor Schedule (07/23/21)
- 2021 HOT Flyer
- Other opportunities can be found on the County Calendar – registration information should be included for each post.
- Other Contest related opportunities can be found on the Judging Card Calendar – to sign up for these opportunities, please contact Mellanie at MLMickelson@ag.tamu.edu or at 512-581-7186
That's all for now! Have a great week and let us know if you have any questions!
Mellanie L. Mickelson
Bastrop County Extension Agent – 4-H & Youth Development
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Services
P.O. Box 650 | 901 Pecan Street | Bastrop, TX 78602
p: (512) 581-7186 | c: (512) 522-9174 | f: (512) 581-7187
Website – https://bastrop.agrilife.org
Blog – www.bastrop4h.blogspot.com
Facebook – www.facebook.com/BastropCounty4H