This email blast is geared towards our Graduating High School Seniors and 11th graders preparing for their senior year.
Hey all and Happy Friday!
We wanted to pass on some reminders about the Texas 4-H Foundation Scholarship deadlines and the local scholarship opportunities available for everyone. There should be several options available for those who have AND have not completed and turned in recordbooks in the past. If you have any questions about scholarships or would like someone to help review applications or essays, please don't hesitate to let us know!
TEXAS 4-H FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP REMINDERS:
- Application Deadline: February 15, 2021
- Website: https://texas4hfoundation.org/types-of-scholarships/
- Scholarship Application Portal: https://www.grantinterface.com/Home/Logon?urlkey=tamu
- If you missed the link for the Texas 4-H Foundation Scholarship Training put on by Megan Logan, the recording is available online at https://youtu.be/3_RrhOeHb_4 at your convenience!
- The attachments to this email are helpful documents to this process, including an old style example of how to format the essays to your advantage
- You do NOT need to have completed a recordbook to apply for this opportunity (Note: it is helpful for completing the essays)
- If you would like me to help review your essays, please email them to me this this week as word (or google docs) so we can keep track of suggestions and you have control over any final changes
- There is also an additional message from the Texas 4-H Foundation regarding transcripts:
It has come to our attention that semester schedules are behind due to the late start some schools faced due to COVID-19. With this delay, some applicants will not have final 1st semester grades at the time of the deadline for the 2021 Texas 4-H Foundation Opportunity Scholarship to satisfy the 3.5 year transcript requirement.
To help give some flexibility with this, we have decided to allow applicants to submit the transcript they have at the time of the deadline (11:59 PM Monday, February 15th). Applications will move on to the judging portion and during that time (March) applicants can submit their final 3.5 year transcript. If an applicant fails to submit their final 3.5 year transcript by Tuesday, March 23rd at 11:59 PM, they will be disqualified from moving to the next round.
Monday, February 15th at 11:59 PM – Deadline for the Texas 4-H Foundation Opportunity Scholarship – must submit the transcript they have at that time.
Tuesday, March 23rd at 11:59 PM – Deadline for any applicant needing to submit an updated transcript to reflect 3.5 years. Applicants will need to have their counselor or school administrator email the updated transcript to Kelly.firstname.lastname@example.org
I will be checking applications and notifying applicants should they not have a complete transcript (before the deadline only).
***IMPORTANT*** Anyone wishing to be considered for a 2021 Texas 4-H Foundation Opportunity Scholarship MUST submit a complete application (with transcript that is available to the applicant) by the February 15th deadline. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made for late applications.
BASTROP COUNTY 4-H SCHOLARSHIPS:
- Please note that the availability of scholarships for 2020-2021 may be variable due a lack of fundraising opportunities and the ever changing situation presented to these groups by COVID-19.
- Application (Direct Link): https://counties.agrilife.org/bastrop/files/2021/02/2021-scholarship-application-and-letter-FILLABLE.pdf
- More information available on the website at https://bastrop.agrilife.org/awards/
- Changes for the 2021 Scholarship Application Process:
- This year (and for the 2021-2020 year) applicants MUST have turned in recordbooks for 2 of the past 3 years for judging at the county level (this will be changed to 3 of the past 4 years in 2022-2023)
- There will be no in-person interviews this year. We are asking for applicants to submit a recorded video of them answering 5-7 questions chosen by the committee. These questions will be released the day after the applications are due at the County Extension Office
- Important Dates:
- Friday, February 05, 2021 Applications released (online)
- Thursday, May 13, 2021 Applications due to CEO by 12:00 Noon
- Friday, May 14, 2021 Questions for recording interviews released to applicants
- Wednesday, June 2, 2021 Recorded Scholarship Interviews due the CEO
- Wednesday, June 2, 2021 4-H Recordbooks due to the CEO for scholarships
- Monday, June 14, 2021 County Recordbook Judging
- Thursday, July 8, 2021 District Recordbook Judging; TBA
- Friday, July 30, 2021 Bastrop County 4-H Achievement Banquet
OTHER SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE (also posted on the website at https://bastrop.agrilife.org/awards/):
- Go Texan Scholarships (Houston Livestock Shows) – Due 02/22/21
- Scholarships Compendium – multiple scholarships with multiple deadlines
- Texas Farm Bureau Scholarships – Due 03/05/21
- Texas Scholarships – multiple scholarships with multiple deadlines
- Texas A&M University Scholarships – multiple scholarships with multiple deadlines
- Porch Skilled Trade & Technology Scholarships – multiple scholarships with multiple deadlines
- Scholarship Search Tool – multiple scholarships with multiple deadlines
Please let us know if you need anything or have any questions, and have a great weekend!
Please let us know if you have any questions and have a great week!!!
Mellanie L. Mickelson
Bastrop County Extension Agent – 4-H & Youth Development
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Services
P.O. Box 650 | 901 Pecan Street | Bastrop, TX 78602
p: (512) 581-7186 | c: (512) 522-9174 | f: (512) 581-7187