INFORMATION IN THIS EMAIL BLAST (IN ORDER)
- Food & Nutrition Series
- Fashion & Interior Design Project Interest
- Club Officer Training
- County 4-H Council Meetings
- County Fall Roundup Contests
- District 10 4-H Fall Roundup Contests
- New Resources Available on the Website
- Other Opportunities
Good evening, y’all!
I hope you are doing well and enjoying the cooler weather! I wanted to pass on a more general email blast that had most of the non-livestock project updates on it for y’all. We also wanted to give you a heads up that we are setting aside some time in the near future to do some short-term and long-term planning on what our educational opportunities and schedules may look like this year. We are noticing a lot of virtual burnout in our youth and we want to make sure that the 4-H side of things is still as fun and educational as possible. With that, let’s jump into some fun project updates:
Food & Nutrition Series
- Please join us on Tuesday evenings at 6:00 PM to participate in our Virtual Food & Nutrition Project Series! The series will be held over Zoom and the information for each session will be emailed out 1-2 days ahead of time. If you have any questions, please contact the Bastrop County Extension Office at 512-581-7186 or MLMickelson@ag.tamu.edu.
- To RSVP:
Fashion & Interior Design Project Interest
- While our fabulous FCH Ambassadors are hard at work with getting ready for the Virtual Food & Nutrition Series, we would now like to start thinking about the Fashion & Interior Design Project!
- Quick Overview: In this project you can learn to design, construct and be a smart consumer when purchasing clothing and household items. This project encompasses the whole concept of fashion and interior design, starting with the basics of sewing and fabric selection, principles of designing a space, clothing and textile construction, incorporating artwork (photography or other medium) into a space, etc. – we will collect the topics that you’re interested in to design the series and maybe even work on re-designing one of the rooms in the County Extension Office!
- If you are interested in participating in this project or learning more about it, please Complete the Google Form by Monday, November 16, 2020 – we will be using this information to get an idea of how many people we will have participating and to help with planning the project series (topics, scheduling, etc)
Club Officer Training
- Club Officer Training will take place at 6:00 PM on Monday, October 26th, via Zoom – Miss Megan Logan (our D10 4-H Specialist) will be leading the training and focusing on Parliamentary Procedure!
- To RSVP:
- Please sign up with your club officer information through our Google Form AND please email a completed virtual permission slip (1 per family – be sure to include everyone’s names) and email them to our 4-H Agent, Mellanie, at MLMickelson@ag.tamu.edu!
- Click here to RSVP in Google Form
- Click here to download the Virtual Waiver
- The Club Officer Handbooks are also available to you on the Adult Volunteer Page and are linked below:
County 4-H Council Meetings
- We highly encourage 4-H members to attend and participate in the Council meetings – they count towards their awards and leadership activities for recordbooks as we get further into the year. All youth are allowed to contribute to discussions and help direct the conversations towards the best interests of the County. Additionally, it’s a great way to get to know some of the 4-H members in the other clubs and see what’s going on in the county!
- If you would like to join us, please RSVP by completing the virtual camp waiver (Download the Waiver Here) and emailing it to me at MLMickelson@ag.tamu.edu - if you have already done so for Council meetings – you are all set for the rest of the year! We only need 1 form per family, just be sure to list everyone’s names on the forms.
- Upcoming Council Meeting Dates:
- Tuesday, December 1, 2020 (6:00 PM)
- Tuesday, February 2, 2021 (6:00 PM)
- Tuesday, April 6, 2021 – Officer Elections for 2021-2022 (6:00 PM)
County Fall Contests/Practices:
- Food Show
- If you are planning on participating in the District 10 Contest – please email your District 10 4-H recipe submission to Mellanie by 12:00 Noon on Friday, October 23, 2020 (see the D10 Contest Rules below for the forms)
- If we have more than 1 person in an age group or category we will plan to have a virtual contest on Monday, November 2nd at 5:30 PM; If we do NOT have more than 1 youth in each age group/category then we will simply make appointments to practice your presentation at your convenience
- Public Speaking & Educational Presentation: If you are planning on participating in the District 10 Contest (or are interested in educational presentations or public speaking) please contact Mellanie to talk about your topic and arrange a practice presentation
District 10 4-H Fall Roundup Contests
- What is this? District 10 4-H Roundup is a clustered set of contests where youth from all 21 counties in District 10 4-H compete against each other. There is a D10 Fall Roundup and a D10 Spring Roundup. A few of the contests have a maximum number of teams/participants that are allowed to compete – for those contests, we have a qualifying County Contest where youth must participate and/or make a certain placing to move up to the District Level.
- Disclaimer: these dates and locations are subject to change based on local health mandates for the safety of all participants
- Date: December 1-3, 2020 (tentatively)
Location: Kerrville, TX (and/or virtual depending on contest)
- Contests included:
- Food Show (Qualifying Contest Needed: 1 entry per age division, per category can advance to District)
- Beef Quiz Bowl (team activity)
- Horse Quiz Bowl (team activity)
- Nutrition Quiz Bowl (team activity)
- Public Speaking (virtual)
- Educational Presentations (virtual)
- Registration Available via 4-H CONNECT: October 19, 2020 to November 3, 2020
- 2020 Fall Round-Up Guide (Posted 10/09/2020): 2020-2021 District 10 4-H Fall Round-Up Guide
- 2020 Food Show Junior/Intermediate Entry Form and Score Sheet: Food Show Entry Forms and Score sheets | Fillable Food Show Recipe Submission Form
New Resources Available on the Website:
- On our website at https://bastrop.agrilife.org/bastrop-county-4-h-welcome-projects-resources/; under 4-H Resources & Links (also available on State Website at https://texas4-h.tamu.edu/events/roundup/)
- On our website at https://bastrop.agrilife.org/bastrop-county-4-h-welcome-projects-resources/; under 4-H Projects:
- Other opportunities can be found on the County Calendar – registration information should be included for each post.
- Other Contest related opportunities can be found on the Judging Card Calendar – to sign up for these opportunities, please contact Mellanie at MLMickelson@ag.tamu.edu or at 512-581-7186
Thank y’all and have a great weekend!
Mellanie L. Mickelson
Bastrop County Extension Agent - 4-H & Youth Development
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Services
P.O. Box 650 | 901 Pecan Street | Bastrop, TX 78602
p: (512) 581-7186 | c: (512) 522-9174 | f: (512) 581-7187