I am very happy to share that the Bastrop County Food Show Contest will be taking place at 6:00 PM on Thursday, October 24, 2019, at the County Extension Office.
We are allowed to submit 1 entry per age division, per category to the District 10 4-H Food Show. This means that we can submit 4 juniors, 4 Intermediates, and 4 Seniors total with 1 person in each category (main dish, fruit/veggie, bread/cereal, nutritious snack). This year's Theme is “Food Around the World” Embark on a memorable adventure--meeting people, sharing customs and sampling foods from various countries around the world.
To enter the County Contest, complete the Texas 4-H Food Show Recipe Form (linked) and email it to Mellanie at MLMickelson@ag.tamu.edu by 12 Noon on Tuesday, October 22, 2019.
We do want the contestants to have fun and get used to the contest format without feeling too much pressure, so please help them prepare a positive attitude and think about ways they can improve after the contest. Currently, we will have 2 sets of judges – 1 set for juniors/intermediates and 1 set for seniors. We will provide instructions on registering for District Contest at the conclusion of our event.
Contest Schedule/Structure (approximated and may change based on transition/judging times)
- 6:00 PM Judge Arrival & Orientation
- 6:15 PM Contestant Check-in & Orientation
- 6:30 PM Begin Contest:
- Youth will put final touches on dish
- Juniors and Intermediates will be required to bring one serving of their dish to the Contest. Contestants will not need to serve to the judges as they will present one (1) serving to the judging panel.
- Juniors/Intermediates will be interviewed by the judges for 5 minutes (they will not be allowed to provide a presentation)
- Seniors will be required to bring their entire dish to the District Contest and will need to serve one serving to the judges. The food should be presented in a serving dish with a serving utensil provided by the contestant. In addition, a napkin to lay serving utensil on is allowed. The dish should be presented to the judges as if it were about to be placed on a table for a family dinner.
- Each contestant will start with a maximum five-minute presentation to introduce themselves and their dish.
- Judges will have the opportunity for a four-minute interview asking questions applicable to the scorecard.
- At the end of the question and answer period, contestants will have one-minute to serve the judges a portion of their dish.
- Awards will immediately follow judging
- There will be no actual cooking preparation at the County Food Show, youth will have a few minutes to put final touches on their items at the County Extension Office but will not have access to electrical outlets, refrigerators, microwaves, etc.
- Contestants should wear clothing consistent with professional and safe food handling practices.
- Only edible garnishes are allowed. No decorations. Participants will be asked to remove any other material besides a serving utensil, utensil, napkin, and edible garnish from the serving tray. Both disposable and non-disposable serving dishes are acceptable.
- The District 10 rules are available in the District 10 4-H Fall Roundup Packet and are available by clicking this link
- The State Rules that District 10 will follow for Seniors are available by clicking this link
- District 10 Packet with Potential Questions, scorecard, form, & resources
Please let me know if you have any questions and have a great weekend!
Mellanie L. Mickelson
Bastrop County Extension Agent - 4-H & Youth Development
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Services
P.O. Box 650 | 901 Pecan Street | Bastrop, TX 78602
p: (512) 581-7186 | c: (512) 522-9174 | f: (512) 581-7187
Website - https://bastrop.agrilife.org
Blog - www.bastrop4h.blogspot.com
Facebook - www.facebook.com/BastropCounty4H